Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Oh, hello Bloggers!

Today I decided to put a list together of my favorite food blogs.  Of course I want you all to remain my faithful followers (look into my eyes...ha ha ha), but I think getting to know what's out there helps you build your own cooking style and relationship with food.  It can also be helpful for bloggers to continually do research and see what they can do to make their blogs better by looking at those similar to their own.

A good place to start for anyone who wants to build a collection of food blogs to follow is Pinterest.  This virtual bulletin board provides free access to a variety of sites (and not just those of the cooking persuasion) that you can preview very easily.  By clicking on a few recipes that seem interesting, you may be led to a food blog that becomes your go-to when you want to try something new or be inspired to make something of your own.  That's pretty much how I discovered the lovely ladies below.

Budget Bytes - details cost of both the whole recipe and serving, includes step by step process in pictures
  • She has educational tabs that include "pricing and portions" and "how to stock your kitchen" - essential know-hows if you want to adhere to a food budget
  • Each recipe has a convenient link to access it as a pdf file
  • She has plenty of labels that help you find just what you're looking for
  • She shares my love for Sriracha!
Kalyn's Kitchen - lots of healthy meals, includes step by step process in pictures
  • Her focus is on healthy, low-glycemic recipes - inspired by south beach diet, but healthy nonetheless
  • She includes cooking tips, info on vegetable gardening, and products she loves
  • Great for lots of vegetarian options
  • Includes a variety of search options to find her recipes: by picture, by ingredient, by recipe category, and by cooking method
Lauren's Latest - lots of great desserts and fun ideas.
  • This site infuses a lot of personal anecdotes and family updates since she's currently expecting their second child.  Her voice comes through clearly and it feels as though you're interacting with a friend.  I also believe this personal touch, although not necessary to maintain loyalty, does help to keep her followers coming back. 
  • She includes tons of her own creations, but also blogs about food she tries when out traveling.
  • Personally I think this is the most visually attractive of the sites.  The font and background have a retro vibe and she includes a lot of great pictures to reel you in.
  • Her recipes can be searched via category or ingredient.

I hope you take the time to visit one or all of these sites.  They help keep me moving through my own culinary excursion and remain inspired to create exciting new recipes to share with all of you.  Are there any sites you visit regularly? If so, why?

Do share!

Lastly, here is a screen shot of one of my Pinterest boards I titled "Veggie Delights."  I've tried most of the recipes featured.  I absolutely LOVE the roasted garlic veggie tostada (the inspiration for my sweet potato enchilada casserole), the avocado mac & cheese (drool worthy), and the avocado egg salad wrap (the jalepeno/cilantro wraps from Fresh & Easy are the perfect edible compartment to house all that creamy healthy goodness).


Peace, Love, & Yummy Stuff 

3 comments:

  1. I have never browsed Pinterest until now. I think I am going to browse the site a little bit more often. The roasted garlic veggie tostada does look pretty appetizing. It is something I would really like to make for myself. On our last day of class you should definitely bring a dish you've created for us to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Pinterest! It always gives me new ideas about what to make for dinner (whenever I actually make dinner). The spinach and artichoke grill cheese looks delicious, along with the stuffed bell pepper on the right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love Pinterest and have many recipes pinned. I warn everyone that the site is incredibly addicting! I went to the blogs you suggested and discovered that Lauren's Latest looks delicious but I'm trying to limit my carb intake. As a result, Ive discovered that I'm becoming a quasi vegetarian. I loved Kalyn's Kitchen and since have added it to my reader. I really want to try a recipe with chickpeas and the first thing I saw on her blog was the spicy chickpea recipe. I have to make time to cook! Love your blog. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete