Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Oh, hello Avocado!

Inspired by the green-ness of March I decided to highlight the awesomeness of avocados.   It's one of my favorite super fruits! Although it didn't used to be.  Before I tried them I imagined they tasted very "earthy" but was pleasantly surprised at how creamy they are and oh so versatile. They can be used in both sweet and savory dishes. They not only have healthy fats, they provide tons of nutrients, and help boost your body's absorption of nutrients! It's a great alternative mayo: spread it on sandwiches, use it in egg salads, deviled eggs, chicken salad, get creative with it.

Today I share with all of you one of my favorite recipes courtesy of Two Peas and their Pod. It's a delicious bowl of green creamy goodness. Again it satisfies my addiction to pasta masked with a healthy overtone of our guest du jour today. This recipe made me fall even more in love with avocados.


Guest Du Jour

The link for the website is for the full recipe. I went ahead and cut it in half this time.  You can visit their site for the full "how-to."  Below are just some of my pictures from the process.


As your pasta is boiling in its generously salted water, shred your cheese.   Don't forget to shred a little extra for yourself to enjoy as your cooking.

Get your green goodies together and blend - for this particular mixture I feel a blender is better than a food processor.  I learned that this time around.  And when your taking out the meat of the avocado, be sure to watch out for the little belly button (the part where it was once attached to the tree).  That sucker pops out very easily and could get lost in your mixture.  I always remove it before I begin scooping.
After you've blended your avocado and other green veggies mix it in with your drained, cooked pasta.
Next make your ooey gooey cheesy sauce.  I love this part, because it means I'm so close to eating!



Lastly, mix all the goodness together and...

ENJOY!
This normally looks much more green, but with the use of the food processor over the blender, I ended up with chunky bits, rather than a cream.  It still tasted excellent!  Are there any special green foods you like to eat? Or, other tasty uses for avocados up your sleeve?  

Do Share!

Peace, Love, & Yummy Stuff

3 comments:

  1. As a child I found avocado to be disgusting. It was probably because it looks so green and healthy. Being Latin it was always in our household and living next door to a neighbor with an avocado tree meant we had them in abundance. As an adult my taste buds have expanded and I absolute love them! I normally use it as a spread for sandwiches. I smash it up to a creamy paste, add a little lemon juice, salt-pepper to taste and enjoy! The restaurant BJs on Shaw and First makes the most delicious avocado egg rolls that I get every time I go there. It has a creamy spicy kick that is currently making my mouth water. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a child I did not like avocado. I think it was because it did not taste sweet to me at the time. Anything sweet was what I liked back then. It's pretty interesting how things change. These days I have a serving of avocado at least three to four times a week. I love adding avocado to fresh pico de gallo. The taste is so refreshing and spicy. I feel like I am taken to Mexican heaven. A special green food that I like to eat is chard. It is a little bitter when eaten raw, but when cooked that bitterness fades away. I like eating it both ways and it also makes a great addition to concocting a green smoothie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love avocado! I put it on everything that I can. I love it on sandwiches or in a burrito. I haven't seen it used in a pasta though. Interesting idea. It looks yummy though. I'm going to have to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete