Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Oh, hello Bell Pepper!

Lately I have been craving more veggies and so today I decided to share with you one of my favorite salads.  It combines a variety of my most favorite foods: beans, cheese, and bell peppers!  I started to do some research and was surprised to learn that bell peppers come in more colors than just green, red, orange, and yellow.  They can be black, brown, or purple too!  Which kind of makes sense since they're a part of the "nightshade family" that includes potatoes, tomatoes, and eggplant.

Red bell peppers are my personal favorite because they're sweet and taste good raw and cooked. Below is my recipe for what I call a Fiesta Salad, it's colorful, spicy, and tasty!  I didn't include many pictures because it's not very complicated.

Red Bell Peppers

Fiesta Salad
Ingredients
Your choice of greens
Black beans, drained
Red bell pepper, diced
Shredded cheese (I prefer the "Mexican" blend)
Tortilla strips
Brianna's Chipotle Cheddar dressing (this is important!) 

Directions
Add as much of each ingredient as your heart desires and dig in!! But of course, be mindful of how much dressing you add...that's where the healthy can easily slip into unhealthy if you're not careful!

These are the tortilla strips I use - found at your neighborhood Savemart

This is the most awesomest dressing and is what gives the salad a little kick! I had trouble finding it at Savemart even though they carry the brand, but WinCo seems to always have it on hand.

This is before the strips and dressing. I'm sharing this pick because I knew once I put it in my lunch bag it wasn't going to look as pretty.  I wait to add those two final ingredients if I'm not going to eat it until later.  Who wants a soggy salad?
Sometimes our best stuff comes out of desperation.  This was born out of stuff I had on hand.  I would love to hear some of your salad creations!

Do Share!

Peace, Love, & Yummy Stuff 

P.S.  I know the cheese in the picture is not the "Mexican" blend I love, but I was out, so I shredded some pepper jack.  I can never have enough spice :)  But after I did so, I wish I had used feta.  I think the tangy flavor of feta would have complimented the dressing nicely.

4 comments:

  1. I love chipotle, I think it taste good on anything.

    My mother is a semi-vegetarian and she is always making a salad. It's funny because she has a lot of different salad dressings in her fridge and waiting to be open in her cabinet but her go to dressing is simply lemon juice. I love her salads because she chops everything up small enough to be eaten with a spoon. Normally, it's salad, peanuts, any bell pepper present, mushroom, and raisins. I'm hungry for a good salad now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bell peppers, especially the red ones. I buy at least two when I go grocery shopping. I too use freshly squeezed lemon juice on my salads. When I go out to eat I always make sure to tell the waiter to hold the dressing and supply me with multiple lemon wedges. What I like to top my salads with are strawberry and apple slices. The sweetness of the strawberries and apples mixed with the zest of the lemon juice tickles my taste buds. Lime juice is also muy bueno.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic! Me and my girlfriend have been trying to eat a bit healthier and this looks delicious. I've actually been using your recipes in attempts to impress her, and I must say it has been working. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the simplicity of this recipe! It's so short and easy it'd be pure laziness if I didn't try and make it. I think I might experiment a little and include a little sweetness, I'm leaning towards putting in some purple grapes let's see how that goes!

    ReplyDelete