Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Oh, hello Comfort!

I decided to devote this post to comfort food.  Most people instantly think of Southern food as synonymous with comfort, but I feel like comfort food can be classified as anything that makes you feel good.  Sometimes when you're down in the dumps, the right kind of dish can make you feel as though everything is going to be okay.  For me, comfort lies in family and my sense of home.  When I eat certain dishes, they take me back to my childhood and the great memories I have built with my family. I only hope I am able to provide a similar experience for my children once my husband and I begin our family.


Tagxedo created with a blog post from gilttaste.com

The one dish on the top of my comfort food list makes me feel warm, cozy, safe, and loved; my mom's menudo, not to be confused with Menudo.  It is a traditional Mexican soup, also known to some as great hangover food.  Making this dish is a time consuming process, which is why my mom only makes it a few times a year, mostly for Christmas and New Year's.  Traditionally, menudo is  made with hominy and beef stomach, pigs feet are an optional addition and are considered to be the best part.



The preparation alone is so labor intensive because the stomach requires a lot of attention before you can even begin the long cooking process.  The stomach must be trimmed of fat, rinsed very well, then boiled for several hours.  Sometimes my mom will do a slow cook over night with the heat low, or she'll clean it in the evening to start cooking in the morning so we can eat it for the rest of the day.  The basic seasonings are chili pepper or paste and salt, but there are many variations and everyone adds something different. I can't share my mom's recipe, or I'd have to kill you.  Haha, just kidding! (No really, I would). There are also regions of Mexico that don't include the chili pepper/paste so the broth remains clear.  After it is prepared you can add extras like onion, cilantro, radish, salsa, and lemon juice to enhance the flavor.  I myself can't really stomach the stomach (hehe), but the flavor it adds to the broth cannot be replaced by anything else.  I'm not usually one to eat seconds and definitely not thirds.  I'm the one who eats the slowest and is the last to leave the table.  However, when I get the call for menudo, I just can't seem to get enough!  I have to admit, when it comes to menudo, I am a bit of a snob.  My mom's is the best and I'm usually not adventurous enough to order it off a menu at a restaurant when I see it listed, because it will inevitably be compared to my mom's and won't measure up.  I myself have not attempted to make this dish on my own, but once my family starts to grow, I will definitely add it to my recipe book so that I can carry on the comfort.

How many of you have tried menudo? What types of comfort food are on your list?  Why do they make the cut? 

Do Share!

Peace, Love, & Yummy Stuff

3 comments:

  1. It has been years since I have had menudo. I had a like/dislike relationship with it back in the day. The taste was good, but i disliked how slothful I felt after I finished eating. One day I guess I was just fed up with the gross feeling menudo gave me and decided to never consume it again. So far I haven't, but I am worried one day one of mi abuela's is going to offer me some and I am not going to have the cojones to say no. It's hard to say no to them because I love them so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I am not Mexican, I absolutely love menudo. You're right it is a comfort slash hangover food. My mother is Nicaraguan and she makes a similar pig intestine soup. Haven't had that since I was a kid because prep time is too long. I have never had menudo at a restaurant (My ex did make me taste one from a can. Grosskies!)it has always been made for me by an older Mexican woman after a night of partying with familia. I love it best with lemon and plenty of cabbage. Now Im jonesing for it! Do you watch Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives? Guy, tries menudo for the first time and hates it. I almost cried.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked Guy in the beginning, but now it's hard for me to watch him for long periods of time. Especially on DDD, because all I can think about is how much bad food he's eating. Not that I'm being judgy or claiming to be super healthy, but I'm genuinely concerned about how much unhealthy food he eats. I didn't catch the menudo episode myself, but some else did mention it to me. It is definitely an acquired taste!

    ReplyDelete