Pages

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Oh, hello....oh no!

I don't really have a guest du jor for this post because I ended up using things I already had on hand. I also don't feel like any one ingredient is highlighted here.  I had purchased a package of Italian sausage (meaning it's pre-seasoned) over the weekend and wasn't sure what I was going to make with it.  So today, I visited my trusty Pinterest to look for inspiration.  I had pinned this recipe from Kalyn's Kitchen a while back and have really wanted to try it.  Since this recipe calls for unseasoned beef and follows more of an Indian flavor profile, I figured this wasn't really going to work with the Italian sausage I had purchased.  Then I began to think about what I already had in my kitchen to see if I could make this work.  The following is what I came up with.

1 package of Italian sausage (without the casing if possible, otherwise remove and crumble)
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 can of garbanzo beans
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 white onion, diced
2 cups of spinach, roughly chopped
1 1/2 cup water
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Cumin
Paprika

  • Drain your garbanzo beans and rinse until you no longer see bubbles forming.  
  • Heat the olive oil, in a deep skillet.  Add the sausage, break it up, and let it cook for a 3 minutes.
  • Mix your seasonings with your water.  (I just sprinkled a little of each, mixed, then tasted and adjusted to taste.  Remember, it's easier to add more, than to take away when you've added too much).
  • Toss in the beans and cook for another 7 minutes or so.
  • Add your onions, garlic, and spinach and saute for a 3-5 minutes.
  • Add your seasoned water and simmer on low until the liquid is almost evaporated. (I placed a lid over it so the liquid could evaporate a little more rapidly and be done near the time my rice was to be done).
This is before I added the water.
I served this over rice, but I think any starch will do. It was a home run and Biz loved it!

This was one of the few times where I truly improvised and I have to say I'm pretty proud of myself.  However, it wasn't smooth sailing.  I want to share with any amateur cooks out there my experience with this experiment because great things can come from our mistakes and/or when we're forced to think quick on are feet. 

Kalyn's recipe calls for you to reserve the liquid from the garbanzo beans and add chicken broth.  I did not have chicken broth, but noticed I had an open carton of vegetable broth in the refrigerator.  

I checked the expiration date, still good. 

I opened it up and smelled it, still good.  

I proceeded to pour it into my measuring cup that contained my bean juice, and then a big clump of coagulated vegetable broth plopped out! I stood there for a second, throughly annoyed that my attempt to be creative was backfiring.  Then I thought, what about dissolving some chicken bouillon in some water and voila! 

Not exactly.  

I opened my pantry and zilch.  I stood there staring at what I did have and decided to pull a few things I thought would taste good.  I came up with the combination you saw listed above and it all worked out!

I welcome any of you to share some of your mishaps that turned into miracles.  Let's inspire and learn from each other!

Peace, Love, & Yummy Stuff

1 comment:

  1. Last night actually I tried to make a quinoa porridge type of thing, but it turned out to be more of a soup because I added too much rice milk and I think when the frozen berries defrosted they had left an excess of liquid. I didn't want to drain the liquid because all the other ingredients I put in would have been drained as well. The end product turned out to be actually quite good.

    ReplyDelete