Pages

Monday, May 6, 2013

Oh, hello Cilantro!

Hands down, one of my favorite ingredients to use is cilantro, which is actually the Mexican word for the coriander plant.

This is the actual plant

I absolutely love the fresh, citrus taste it adds to any dish.  If I see it on the ingredient list on a menu item, I am more inclined to try it, because for me, cilantro makes everything better.

This is what we're all familiar with, commonly confused with parsley.
Just take a whiff and you'll be able to tell them apart!

I've also discovered that eating it can do some pretty awesome things for your body as well.  My dad, however, absolutely hates cilantro.  He says it tastes like soap.  I used to think he was just exaggerating, but in doing my research, it turns out that some people don't have the genetics to taste the herby, citrusy goodness and instead, taste soap.  I'm sure glad I didn't inherit that gene!

I also discovered an entire website devoted to boycotting cilantro. Members can post personal anecdotes about their "first time," submit Haiku's detesting the herb, and browse research (use your crap detectors people).

So, if you're taste buds are on the side of love for this lemony herb, give this recipe of mine a try.  It's a nice pasta salad that I think tastes great hot or cold. I figured it would be a good offering for the warm summer months that seem to be fast approaching.

Ingredients

Penne pasta, cooked according to box, and drained
1 can of red beans, rinsed and drained
Crumbled feta cheese
Red onion, sliced into thin ribbons

Dressing:
Extra-virgin olive oil
Lime juice
Cilantro
Salt & pepper

I pretty much eye ball the ingredients because you really can't mess it up!

Mix your dressing first and refrigerate it so that the flavors have time to blend.  I recommend squeezing the lime juice in your container first and then whisking the olive oil in with a fork as you pour so they incorporate nicely.  Then add your salt and pepper to taste.  Go easy on the olive oil and taste as you go so that you don't dilute the lime juice too much.

After you've prepped the remainder of your ingredients you can mix them together with your dressing*.  Voila!  You have a nice fresh, summer salad.

*If you want to eat this hot, don't refrigerate your dressing.  If you want to eat it cold, then rinse your pasta in cold water after it's cooked so it doesn't melt the cheese and warm your dressing.

So, I'm curious....Do you LOVE cilantro? Or, do you taste soap?

Do you have any fast and easy recipes you love to make in the summertime?

Peace, Love, & Yummy Stuff




4 comments:

  1. I hate cilantro! It overpowers all other flavors in my burritos. I would much rather taste the combination of guacamole, beans, carne asade, rice, cheese, etc. rather than feeling like i'm eating a cilantro burrito with some other things. Maybe my taste buds are on the bad side of the cilantro line, but oh well. The blog was fun reading though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I taste soap! Thank you for informing me that it's genetics. Being Latin American and growing up with nothing but Mexican babysitters many of my meals had cilantro in it. I thought I was being a picky eater. People always used to make fun of me but cilantro has always tasted gross! Oh thank god. Technically, there is something wrong with me. Hahah. That's ok. There are plenty of yummy dishes that do not have cilantro in it. During the summer I crave bbq's. I cannot wait to have a cold beer and some tri-tip this summer! Not a quick meal but definitely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cilantro, especially because of the many health benefits it provides. I am glad you provided a link to a website that lists what exactly those benefits are. Since I work at a Mexican restaurant I am always around it. Sometimes I help myself to some when I get the chance. During the summer I love to make banana milkshakes. All it takes is two large frozen bananas, rice-milk, some ice cubes and a dash of cinnamon.It's so refreshing, thick and "guilt-free". lol

    ReplyDelete